The first step before starting to create your book content, is to first fill in the book information. Directly in the Edit screen, you will find the option to edit the book title under the Book Title label, and the cover image. The book title is important as it will appear in the header of your ebook or app. External ebook readers rely on this as the display name of the book. Your book cover image may be added by clicking on the current cover image next to the book title.
To add more details to your book, simply click on the Book Manager button.
The information in the Book manager is stored as metadata for the book. It helps describe the book to ebook readers. Here are a few important points:
- You may enter a legitimate author name under Author, or leave it blank if there is no author.
- You may enter a legitimate publisher name under Publisher, or leave blank if there is no publisher.
- If the book you are creating has an ISBN number, you may enter it under ISBN. The ISBN (International Standard Book Number) is a unique commercial book identifier. For more information, please visit isbn.org.
- Legitimate information on your book’s copyrights can be entered under Rights. This may include the form of identification of the owner/author, year of publication, along with the copyright symbol ©.
- You can specify the book’s language under Language. This will be used by your readers for translation purposes.
- You may specify the layout of the book: reflowable or fixed. Although you may specify the layout of each individual chapter, some readers such as Apple iBooks enforces the book layout on all chapters. Other readers, such as Kotobee Reader, can have alternating chapter layouts, where the book layout itself does not override that. For more information on ebook layouts, read Understanding reflowable / fixed layout modes.
It is recommended to provide a brief summary of your book for your readers under Description to have an idea about the content of your book without having to open it. This is particularly useful if the book will be part of a library, as the description along with the book cover are the only pieces of information that the will describe the book to the user.