Learn how to integrate your cloud ebooks and libraries with Woocommerce.
The Kotobee Plugin
The Kotobee plugin allows you to integrate your cloud ebooks and libraries to sell through various stores or payment gateways, such as WooCommerce, under your Wordpress site. WooCommerce is a comprehensive plugin that adds e-commerce functionality to your Wordpress site. Through WooCommerce, you can display products to sell and apply different payment methods. A comprehensive WooCommerce tutorial can be found here: https://docs.woocommerce.com/document/woocommerce-guided-tour-videos
The idea is simple:
- Create virtual products (representations) of your ebooks inside your WooCommerce store.
- Using the Kotobee plugin, link each product to the appropriate Kotobee cloud ebook (or in the case of Kotobee Library, you may link to an ebook, category, user role, or to the entire library).
- Whenever a customer purchases a product, they will automatically receive permission to access Kotobee. Optionally, they may automatically receive an activation email containing details on resetting his Kotobee password.
The Kotobee plugin requires WooCommerce v 3.0.0 or later.
Installation and Setup
- Download the plugin file from https://wordpress.org/plugins/kotobee/
- Go to the plugins section of your Wordpress site.
- Click on Add New, and then Upload Plugin. Browse to the downloaded Kotobee plugin zip file and select Install Now.
- Now the plugin is installed. Click on Kotobee in the dashboard menu.
In the plugin settings page you are given the following options:
Kotobee Serial Number: This is the serial number provided by Kotobee that gives access to the cloud ebook or library you will be using.
Integrate with: Here you choose the service(s) you want to integrate with. In your case now, check WooCommerce.
Send Activation Email: Checking this option allows Kotobee to send activation emails to new customers once they get access through this plugin.
- Automatically Remove Access: This allows the plugin to remove users' access in case the status of their orders change (ie. refunded or suspended)
- Click Save Settings and now the plugin is set up.
You may link the product when you're adding or editing it without leaving the editing page. You also can find all products to link them with kotobee from a single page. The two ways are described next.
Product Editing Page
When creating or editing a product, on the right-hand panel, you will find a button labeled Link to Kotobee. Click on that button to access the linking dialog box.
A dialog box will open showing a listing of all your cloud ebooks and libraries. If you can not find them, make sure you've entered the correct serial number in the plugin settings.
Simply select the ebook you would like to link this product to and click the respective Link button. Note that you may select more than one ebook., meaning that if you link an ebook to a product, once a user purchases this product, they'll automatically receive access to this ebook.
Kotobee WooCommerce Integration Page
After you check WooCommerce integration in Kotobee settings page, a new item will be added under Kotobee menu labeled WooCommerce.
At the top of this page there's a drop down list of your WooCommerce products.
Once you select a product, a table will appear in the page similar to the table in the previous section. You can link the products the same way described above.
To test the plugin, you need to simulate a purchase. In order to do that, you need to create a new order manually.
- Go to the orders section of WooCommerce.
- Click on Add Orderat the top. In the new order screen, you do not need to fill out all the information. Only the following is required:
- Name and email address under Billing details
- Add the product to test by clicking on Add Item then Add product(s).
- After you select the product(s), hit Save.
Note: depending on your version of Wordpress and WooCommerce, some of these button labels may be named differently.
- Save the order by clicking on Save order at the top right (or Create depending on your version of WooCommerce). Now the default status for any new order is "Pending payment". This is visible from under the General Details area. In order to simulate a purchase, we will need to change the order status.
- So while you're now inside the "Edit order" screen, change the Order status to Completed.
- Then click on Save to save the changes to the order.
You should now be given access to the Kotobee ebook and receive an email with instructions.
If you're having any difficulties, do not hesitate to contact support.