Learn how to customize your library's interface in Kotobee Author.
Customizing your library
The flexibility in customizing the Kotobee library interface can help you apply your own branding, and enable the components you need easily.
For a video walkthrough on how to customize your libraries, click play:
To get started:
- Go to the Manage tab.
- Click on the Libraries item in the left column.
- Select your library from the dropdown list. For library management, you will spend most of your time in this part of Kotobee Author.
- Select Customize from the left column under Hosted Libraries. You will be shown a preview of your library, along with some optional controls in a side column.
Customizing the design
The Design tab in the side column will be selected by default. In this area, you are free to edit your interface's colors, logo, and other visual related properties through different controls. Adjusting any of these controls will show a live preview of the change in the preview panel.
- Slogan: A short sentence (slogan) that appears in the startup screen as the library loads.
- Hide logo: Hides the logo entirely. This is useful if you are relying on a startup image that should fill the whole screen without any interference. This feature is for paid users only.
- Custom logo: A logo image to be shown in the startup screen.
- Startup Image: A background image to be used at the startup screen.
- Startup Image Scale: How the startup image should be scaled. The options are Stretch, Contain, and Cover.
- Stretch will stretch the image to fill the screen.
- Contain will preserve the image’s aspect ratio and fit it inside the screen.
- Cover will preserve the image’s aspect ratio, and enlarge it until it covers the entire screen.
- Startup Background Color: The background color of the startup screen.
- Startup Text Color: The text color to be used in the startup screen.
- Hide loading message: When running the ebook, a small loading message is displayed at the bottom of the screen, saying "Loading Book. Please wait". You can hide this message entirely. If you'd like to rephrase it, this can be done from the Customize language control under the Components tab.
- Header Background Gradient: The gradient color of the header bar. For a solid color, you can set the From and To values to be the same color.
- Header Foreground Color: The text color to be used for the header bar.
Library Background Color: The background color of the library.
'Book Access Denied' Button's Text Color: When the user does not have access to a book, a disabled 'Book Access Denied' button is shown. You may control its text color here. From the library settings, you may also assign a redirect link that will take users to an external webpage when they click on that button. You can replace the button text "Book Access Denied" with any other text such as "Buy" or "Purchase from our website" using the Customize language component.
'Book Access Denied' Button's Background Color: The 'Book Access Denied' button's background color.
'Open Book' Text Color: The 'Open Book' button's text color.
'Open Book' Background Color: The 'Open Book' background color.
The following controls can be revealed by clicking on Show advanced options:
- Tab Bar Color: The background color of the tabs at the bottom of the screen in the ebook view.
- Tab Bar Text Color: The text color used in the tabs at the bottom of the screen in the ebook view.
- Chapters Background Color: The background color of the chapters panel in the ebook view.
- Chapters Foreground Color: The text color of the chapters panel in the ebook view.
- Book Info Background Color: The background color of the book information area within the chapters panel in the ebook view.
- Book Info Text Color: The text color used in the book information area within the chapters panel in the ebook view.
Any time you'd like to go back to the initial colors set by Kotobee Author, simply click on Reset to default colors.
Customizing the Components' features
Click on the Components tab button in the side column. In this area, you'll have the ability to enable and disable your ebook's different features. By clicking on the Enable or Disable buttons, the component will be enabled or disabled, respectively. For a description of the component options, please refer to the Customize the app's features article.
Additionally, libraries come with the following components:
- Search library: Allows you to search for book titles in the library.
- Search content: Allows you to search the content of all the books in the library.
- Display categories: Hides the category listing from the user. Categories will still be useful for you as an administrator to organize user permissions for books in groups.
- Autosize library header: Collapses the header when the user starts scrolling through the book's thumbnails downwards. This is available only for mobile apps.
Previewing your library
The large preview frame allows you to see an interactive preview of your library. You can select a certain platform or device to emulate the library in. Click on the drop-down list next to Platform, and pick a platform/device from there. Some devices allow you to rotate them, showing a different orientation. In the case of mobile devices, you can preview the library as a web app, or as a mobile app. Any time you'd like, you may restart the library preview by clicking on the Restart button.