Learn how to import a PDF file with editable content in Fixed Layout.
With some PDF files, there will be errors in the text. If you find your file has significant errors, we recommend using one of the other modes for import.
If you are using a Mac, there are a few more steps you may have to take before generating your PDF file.
- drag and drop it into the Kotobee Author window, or
- click on Import PDF when you first open Kotobee Author from the Welcome Window, or
- select File > Import From > PDF or
- click on the Import PDF icon in the upper left toolbar of the Edit screen.The Import PDF window will appear.
- Select Editable content. If you're not certain that it's the best method for you, read 3 Ways to Import PDFs.
- Select your preferred method and additional options will appear.
Here are descriptions for each option. (If you already know what each option includes, skip to the next step.)
- Page Range
- Page Offset Set the first chapter number for the imported content. For example, if your imported pdf is meant to be the sixth chapter of your ebook set the page offset to 6. It will be pushed 6 pages, from page 1 to page 7. New page number - 1 = Page Offset.
- Image type The image type your PDF will be converted into. You can choose between
- GIF (recommended) A smaller file size, but takes more time to generate.
- PNG A larger file size, but takes less time to generate.
- Image Quality The image quality of page scans can range from 0 (lowest quality) to 100 (highest quality).
- Selectable Text You may allow your text to be selectable, so your readers can enjoy text-reliant features such as searching, copying to clipboard, highlighting, note-taking, etc.
- Right-to-Left If your PDF has right to left content (eg. Arabic or Hebrew). This option will adjust the layout to allow for text selection and correct meaningful sentences.
- Chapter pattern This allows you to change how the chapter numbers will be displayed. The numbers appear instead of the letters "[no]" in the section. For example, if your chapter pattern is "Page ([no])", your chapters will be named: Page (1), Page (2), Page (3), etc.
- Parent Chapter If you want to import the pages as subchapters, you can choose any existing chapter to be the parent chapter. (Selecting "Root" means pages will be set as parent chapters.)
- Select the PDF file from your computer and click Open.
- Click Import and you're done.
The importing process may take some time, depending on the size and complexity of the original PDF file.
The page size of each imported chapter will be the same as the original file. To change the size of the page, read how to set the page size for a fixed layout chapter.
Each page of the PDF will appear as an ebook "chapter" within Kotobee Author. That is an EPUB peculiarity and will not affect your readers. Read more about epub files: Reflowable and Fixed Layouts and Chapter and Pages in Ebooks.
If you plan on having a table of contents, learn how to remove chapters from your table of contents.
If you receive an error message, see Import PDF Errors.